This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Edge blending for tiles

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:03 PM
Hi Dirk,

The last discussion topic reminded me to ask you something. I've been experimenting with using tiles and montage to speed up the processing of heavier effects. The problem with matrix/neighborhood based effects is that the edges of the tiles don't match/fit when combined into a single image again.

Is there some form of edge blending in IM that I may have missed? If not, then can you recommend anything? The only thing I can think of is to make the tiles manually so there is 10% extra on the sides, and manually alpha-blend them together.
Nov 28, 2016 at 7:58 PM
I wonder if you need to do the manually alpha blending. A lot of the algorithms work with a source image and a destination image. Which means that during the operation the destination image won't be read. What you could do is make sure that your tile is the size that you want plus the size of the radius of your operation. But this might not work for all situations. There is no built-in thing to do this for you.
Nov 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM
Good to know, thanks! I'll create a component (possible an extension method) that may be able to do this. If so, I'll make it available in case it makes sense to add it to MagickNET or is useful for other people.